Whole Wheat and Vegetable Khichdi, a healthy khichdi for diabetics and people with high cholesterol. (English Video)
Recipe link : http://www.tarladalal.com/Whole-Wheat-and-Vegetable-Khichdi-5584r
Subscribe : http://goo.gl/omhUio
Tarla Dalal App: http://www.tarladalal.com/free-recipe-app.aspx
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TarlaDalalsKitchen/featured
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/107883620848727803776
Tarla Dalal Blogspot: http://tarladalal.blogspot.in/
Whole Wheat and Vegetable Khichdi
Khichdi is one of the homeliest of dishes, which revives and comforts you after a tough day! It is easy and quick to make, yet satiating, nutritious and tasty too, which is probably what makes it popular with almost everybody. Whole Wheat and Vegetable Khichdi is a dish that is ideal for those with diabetes and high cholesterol, as rice has been replaced with whole wheat. This khichdi, spiced with a mixture of Indian spices, tastes best when served hot with a bowl of curds.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes 4 servings
1/2 cup whole wheat (gehun) , soaked for 6 hours and drained
1/2 cup yellow moong dal (split green gram) , soaked for 15 to 20 minutes and drained
1 tsp oil
2 to 3 peppercorns (kalimirch)
2 cloves (laung / lavang)
25 mm (1″) stick cinnamon (dalchini)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
a pinch asafoetida (hing)
1/4 cup thinly sliced onions
1 cup mixed vegetables (french beans ,
carrot and green peas)
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 1/2 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
For The Garnish
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
1. Blend the whole wheat in a mixer to a coarse paste using approx. ½ of cup water. Keep aside.
2. Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon and cumin seeds.
3. When the cumin seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
4. Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Add the mixed vegetables and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add the ground wheat paste and moong dal, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
7. Add the salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and 3 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
8. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
9. Garnish with coriander and serve immediately with fresh curds.