You will absolutely love this chicken salad recipe that is loaded up with celery, grapes, and almonds that comes together in no time.
Chicken salad is a bound salad consisting of cooked chicken, mayonnaise, vegetables, and herbs. It is said to be created by a meat market in the mid 19th century in Rhode Island and immediately became a hit.
There are many variations for making chicken salad and one of the best things about it, is that it can be customized to your liking. Please use my recipe as a guide and swap out or add to any ingredients you’d like.
Ingredients for this recipe:
• 2 pounds cooked and cooled chicken, medium diced
• 1 peeled and small diced red onion
• 1 finely minced garlic clove
• 4 small diced celery stalks
• ½ cup sliced almonds
• 1 ½ cup red grapes, sliced in half
• 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh dill
• 3/4 cup mayonnaise
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• salt and pepper to taste
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0
1. Prepare the chicken in your desired way. See notes on options.
2. Next, add all of the ingredients to a large bowl.
3. Using a spatula, or clean hands, mix together everything until it is completely combined.
4. Serve or cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 1 day ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
If you do not want to grill the chicken as I did in this recipe, please feel free to use chilled roast chicken, pan-seared chicken breasts, or one of those rotisserie chickens from your favorite grocery store.
It is best to add grapes into the recipe when you are ready to serve it. Keep them aside if you plan to store the chicken salad for longer than 1 day.
In addition to salt and pepper, chicken salad is good when seasoned with Lawry’s or Old Bay seasoning.
Feel free to substitute the fresh dill for fresh tarragon or use both.