Lebanese Aubergine and Chickpea Stew – Recipe Below – This is my twist on a fabulous Lebanese dish called Maghmour, a rich vegan stew that’s packed with flavour and very easy to make. I love it on toast with a drizzle of tahini and some fresh mint. Enjoy x JGS
2 aubergines, cut into 2-3cm chunks
6 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp dried mint
2 tsp baharat
1 can of chickpeas
1 can tinned tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
Salt and pepper
4 slices of toast
A small handful of torn mint leaves
A small handful of toasted pine nuts
1 tsp Turkish pepper flakes
4 tbsp tahini
1. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat. Chuck in half the aubergines and add a good pinch of salt. Leave for 2 minutes to get some colour and then cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes a little golden and wilted by about half. Remove from the pan. Add another 2 tbsp of olive oil and repeat with the remaining aubergine.
2. Heat the remaining oil in the pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Add the garlic, paprika, dried mint and baharat. Mix well and cook, stirring regularly, for 10 seconds until fragrant.
3. Chuck the chickpeas and all the gooey liquid from the tin into the pan. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, 200ml of just boiled water and a big old pinch of salt and pepper. Add the aubergines and mix everything together. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 35-40 minutes or until the aubergines are tender and the sauce lovely and rich.
4. Check the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste. I find it needs a fair bit at this stage. Mix well.
5. To serve, spoon the rich stew onto the toast and garnish with mint leaves, pine nuts and Turkish pepper flakes. Drizzle over the tahini and serve.
I’m so happy to learn a new recipe from you! I appreciate your skill, talent and passion. Never stop learning and growing. Never stop teaching and sharing. I love teaching new recipes to others on my channel too. We are so fortunate to be able to learn from each other while sharing our passion for cooking!