You can tag pictures to me or see more recipes at my social medias via these links ;
As I have received requests for a Keto Fruit Cake, I came up with this simple and easy version. The challenge was in getting a variety of unsweetened dried fruits. I could only get unsweetened dried cranberries which I scouted online recently. Other than this,, I do not have any other unsweetened fried fruits so I tried roasting some strawberries and blueberries in the oven until they are reasonably dry. Of course, they will not be as dry as commercially produced ones but they are good enough to use for this cake as long as the amount of moisture in the cake is controlled. Also, I have to limit the amount of these fruits so that the carb content does not go off the roof.
This is my first time making a keto fruit cake. I have never even made a fruit cake during my carb eating days. So I hope you like this simple and easy low carb, keto version.
As usual, please weigh the ingredients for accuracy.
I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone “MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR”
The recipe can be viewed and printed at this link;
COCONUT FLOUR VERSION
[ Total servings = 10 ]
Per serving ;
Total Carb = 7.9 g
Dietary Fiber = 2.4 g
Net Carb = 5.5 g
Calories = 283
Total Fat = 26 g
Protein = 4.2 g
ALMOND FLOUR VERSION
[ Total servings = 10 ]
Per serving ;
Total Carb = 13.8 g
Dietary Fiber = 5.2 g
Net Carb = 8.6 g
Calories = 467
Total Fat = 40.9 g
Protein = 10.8 g
Coconut Flour = 120 g / 1 cup (OR Almond Flour = 480 g / 4 cups)
Baking Powder = 8 g / 2 tsp
Salt = 1/2 to 1 tsp
Spice Powder ;
All Spice = 4 g / 1 tsp
Cinnamon = 8 g / 1 tbsp
Ginger = 4 g / 1 tsp
(Note: If you like the spices to be stronger, you can increase the amount)
Zest from 1 lemon
Zest from 1 orange
Lakanto Brown Sugar = 100 g / 1/2 cup (OR any keto friendly sweetener)
Whole eggs= 5 large
Butter (softened) = 225 g / 1 cup
RUM Extract = 13 g / 1 tbsp (Optional) (Note: If you like the RUM flavor to be stronger, you can increase the amount)
INGREDIENTS FOR DRIED FRUITS & NUTS
Unsweetened dried cranberries = 45 g / 1/3 cup
Fresh Strawberries = 50 g / 1/3 cup
Fresh Blueberries = 55 g / 1/3 cup
Coconut flour = 8 g / 1 tbsp
Pecans = 70 g / 1/2 cup (Chopped and lightly toasted)
Cut the strawberries into small pieces. Then put on a baking pan with parchment paper together with the blueberries to roast at 270 F or 130 C for about 30 to 40 mins. The strawberries will be ready sooner so you can remove them earlier when done. Prick the blueberries with a fork or knife to let the juices run so that they will dry faster. You can also leave them in the oven after the heat is turned off to let them dry further. Just before using, mix all the dried fruits with the coconut flour in a bowl then set aside. This is to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake.
1. Preheat the oven at 320F or 160C.
2. Whisk the butter and sweetener using a hand held mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time. Whisk to combine.
4. Add the rum extract (if using) then mix to combine. If you wish to add original Rum or Brandy, you can do so but not more than 100 ml otherwise, the cake will be too moist. By adding this amount, the cake will also be more moist.
5. Add the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
6. Mix the batter using a spatula until thick and smooth.
7. Add the lemon and orange zest , dried fruits and pecans. Mix to combine.
8. Scoop batter into a 7″ round removable pan or spring form pan lined with parchment paper at the bottom and grease well.
9. Spread batter evenly and decorate with pecans (optional)
10. Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden skewer comes out clean. As the cake is dense with quite a lot of fillings, I baked them at lower heat for a longer period. Because of the fillings, the cake tends to be a little crumbly especially after its freshly baked. It will firm up better the next day as it becomes more moist or after refrigerating. The cake actually taste quite good when chilled.
11. After baking, let the cake rest for 15 mins before removing from the pan.
12. Decorate the cake with strawberries, blueberries and dust with Lakanto Powdered Sweetener but this is optional.
13. The cake can be kept at room temperature for a few days and refrigerated up to 1 to 2 weeks.
Music : Funny Day
Musician : llya Truhanov